~Monday, April 21, 2014


Got my laboratory results back from my doctor. I am completely 100% healthy.

Healthy and cold and exhausted. Yay. 

~Monday, April 7, 2014

A Pretty Penny

I looked at my bills this month and smiled. SMILED. Because for the first time in about 10 years, I'm feeling a little financially flush. I worked hard and paid off my car a year early. I carry no credit card debt. The new bedroom set I bought when I moved in with Abraham is now paid off. And the wedding has passed, which feels like the biggest cha-ching. 

So what now? 

The first thing I did was check my savings and retirement contributions and made sure I was contributing 10% of my income to each. My savings did take a hit during the last year, so I'd like to replace the funds in that account. I never let my retirement slack, so I'm in good shape there. I also called my stockbroker and invested about $4,000 of an old inheritance. We lived the good life on our honeymoon, and I'm anxious to ditch working for a living and feast in Mexico, ASAP.  

I also bought all of the things. The honeymoon was the final nail in the coffin for my beautiful 10-year-old luggage, so I spent $300 on new ones: dazzling bags on wheels in pinks and purples. I managed to get through last summer with three pairs of shoes, including one pair of flip-flops, so I rewarded myself by doubling the amount of summer shoes: Leather-strapped Born's and crocheted Toms' and work flats from Loft. Throw in two new dresses from Forever 21 because I just can't quit it. 

I like shopping, I feel good when I shop, but I don't want to be burdened with material objects. I don't want to work to maintain my possessions. I think I'm at the point where I would like a few high quality items instead a bunch of little things. I am a professional of the little things though, and Amazon and Forever 21 know it. 

I think the answer to my dilemma is to increase my savings contributions: maybe aim for 15 - 25% instead of 10%. Maybe maximize my Roth to the limit of $5,500. Start a house-repair fund, a child fund, a vacation fund, a something fund.

But I'm worried because I am so good at shopping, and I know what fun it is. I'm giddy when I open a box of sock yarns that I purchased and I fondle the soft skeins in brilliant colors. To me, that is a high.

I'm at such a rare point in my life, and I don't want to squander the opportunity. How do you balance a Pinterest life with a sound life that is financially secure? And if I do save 30% of my income, can I spend the remaining 70% on yarn and dresses?

~Wednesday, April 2, 2014


People ask us how being married is. Whether it's any different to the life we had before.

I always respond it's exactly the same.

Abraham says he likes married life better. And when the other person is done singing, "Aww," he qualifies that he is happier because I'm no longer stressed 24/7 about the wedding.

In real life, marriage is expensive, if you base it on cost per day for what you spent on the wedding. Marriage is also tiring. I've taken four-hour naps on every day that I'm not working. Last Sunday Abraham appeared above me from the couch. "Are you feeling okay? Because you've been asleep for five hours."

I stretched and yawned. "I feel like I could sleep another five."

"Well you'll be able to when we go to bed in a few hours."

Maybe I'm just recovering from all the stress I placed on myself. Or maybe my thyroid meds aren't as effective as they used to be. I find myself sensitive to cold, my teeth chattering when it's 68*F inside the house.

I should probably get myself to the doctor to get checked. Right after this nap.